Sunday, December 16, 2007

GETTIN' NIFTY @ 50



I'm starting this blog as an online journal to help motivate me to start running again. My sister inlaw has invited me to run in her first 5K sometime in early 2008! My little brother is planning to run also!

They are way ahead of me in this game, as I can barely run a mile in the 12 minute bracket. Most people can walk faster than that can't they? I'm 9 years older than baby bro and 10 years older than sis inlaw!

I haven't ran in any events since 98 and haven't ran hardly any at all since the turn of this century!LOL!

I'm going to post the old races and times that I can find in my journals just as motivation for my old ass!

I had always been a runner since childhood, but never ran track in school. I just ran for the exercise of it, along with some weight lifting to try to build a hot body to pick up girls like any young redneck teenager would do. That's normal ain't it?

I got into Martial Arts and Boxing in my early 30's shortly after I got married, which got me into shape for my first 5K in 93 at the Spivey's Corner National Hollerin' Contest. I ran it in 20 minutes 30 seconds and I never beat that time again!

OK here goes my list

1993 at the age of 36; Spivey's Corner 5K Personal record of 20:30

I don't have journals for 93 or 94! Darn it!


1995 age 38

May 6th; Great Raleigh Road Race with my now ex-wife 29:29 (I ran right beside her the whole way cause it was her first 5K

May 13th; Pleasure Isle 5 Mile 38:40

Sept 16th; Raeford 5K 22:47

Oct 1st; Erwin 5K 22:57

Oct 7th; Sun Run @ Wrightsville beach (it was supposed to be a 5K but was actually somewhere between 3.3 and 3.5 miles?) 24:26

Oct 8th; River Fest Run 8K 37 minutes plus?

Oct 21st; UNCW 5K at night 20:30........tied my personal best!!!!!
my ex-wife ran it in 30:09

Nov 12th; Old Reliable Run in Raleigh ....my first 10K......47:29

Nov 18th; Seaside Shuffle @ Wrightsville Beach 5K 21:54


1996 age 39

May 4th; Geenfield Lake Wilmington 5K 21:38

May 11th; Pleasure Isle 5 Mile 38:14

May 18th; White Lake 10K 47:53

June 1st; 5K race in Dunn NC 21:43
ex-wife ran it in 32 plus

June 15th; Diligence Dash in Wilmington 5K 22:31

July 6th ; Southport 5 K 22:22

Oct 19th; Elizabeth Town 5K 23:06

Oct 26th; UNCW 5K at night 22:11

Nov; Erwin 5K 23:15


1997 hit the big 40


May 31st; 5K in Dunn 24:15

June 14th; Diligence Dash in Wilmington 5K 26:15

1998 age 41

May 16th; White Lake 10K 52:48

May 30th; Dunn 5K 24:03

June 6th; Diligence Dash in Wilmington 5K 25:27

July 11th; My last race was the Tri-Span in Wilmington 10K 53:10

1999 to present day......slowly turned into a slob:(

OK....that does it.....I don't know what I'll use this for except some kind of motivation?

I had some minor back surgery in early 2002 and just got completely out of shape. I've been sitting in front of the computer way too much ever since.

I can walk 3 or 4 miles at fast pace with no problems. I'm trying to stay in the half mile to one mile range for running at present time. I'm just to old and rusty to risk aggravating an old knee injury or my back, so I'm taking it slow & easy!

Oh, the picture above is me in 1995 at the Great Raleigh Road Race. I was crossing the finish line running along side my now ex-wife and carrying her sweat shirt. I was pushing her too hard for her first 5K and she was not happy!She could probably smoke my old ass now!LOL!!!!!! Hey, that would motivate me?

Wish me luck and help motivate me!

This is me and the ex-wife in 95 at the finish line. Mr. Uncivil & Miss Civil

Hope she doesn't kill me for posting it? Who knows maybe she want's to get in the game?

11 comments:

Lesley Looper said...

Congrats on training for the 5K, and for starting the new blog! I'm rooting for ya!

Uncivil said...

Thanks Lesley
Maybe one day I'll get to meet you if I ever make it to one of the Raleigh area runs. I have a long way to go with training and I have to take it slow, but this will help me make it steady.

My brother's daughter is a huge Duke fan at only 16 years of age!

Cheers!

Uncivil said...

Update; Miss Civil (my ex) said she was OK with the picture and her doctor told her not to run... unless her life depended on it, because of her bad knees!
Whew!....OK....... Saved by the embarrassment of having my ex wife outrun me!

luvmyharleydoggison said...

Keep up the good work bro-in-law! I'll take your ex's spot in kicking your butt to the finish line :)

Anytime you wanna run let me know since Scott is gone in the evenings.

By the way - he and I ran 3 miles at the lake - I did it in 29 minutes :)

Uncivil said...

Sis-in-law?
So, you've had a blog since July and didn't tell me? My aren't we the sly one?

Yes, there is no doubt you will kick my old butt to the finish line! And Miss Civil will be proud of you!

Hopefully it will motivate me even more for a re-match!

Bro told me about your 29 minute 3 miler! Way to go!!!!!!I know I'm in trouble now. I can barely cover 2 miles in that time frame right now!

It will be fun and we'll have lots of laughs anyway!

I'm too intimidated to run with you before the race as of yet! How much humiliation do you want me to endure? LOL!!!!!!

Uncivil said...

C
Thanks sweetie! I need all my blogger friends in my corner rootin' for me while sis-in-law TKO's my old arse!

luvmyharleydoggison said...

Picked up a new toy yesterday.....

google: Nike Ipod Sports kit

I'm trying to figure it out now!

kim said...

Yea - another local running blog! Glad to see you doing it. I ran my first mile ever in May, 2003 (age 32) and did my first marathon in October 2003! I'm doing my second next month. And I have to tell you, after running halfs for the past 4 years your race times were still ALL faster than I have ever been! Take it easy and don't get hurt and you'll be back at the front of the pack in no time.

We should arrange for the running bloggers (blogging runners?) to do a 5K together next year.

Uncivil said...

Kim
Thanks for stopping by! You trained for and ran your first marathon in only six months?
Wow!!!!!!!!
It was all I could do to get motivated for the 10k's back when I was runnin years ago!
I tried to check out your profile, but couldn't get anything?
Where ya from?
OH.....and I can't really consider myself a running blogger quite yet! I'm more of a walker right now...darn it!!!LOL!!!!

kim said...

i think i fixed it so you can link to my blog now...?

Uncivil said...

Kim
Thanks, I'm heading there now!